Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Hey, I'm Back"

What!? After all that suspense all I get (the narrator too...) from Sumire is a casual phone call assuring me she still has a pulse. Wow, I am a little disappointed, I'm not gonna lie. But where in the world did she go? That is what I can't figure out. Sumire mentions, "It wasn't easy, but somehow I managed it. Like a fifty-word precis of homer's Odessy" (208). It's like she got lost in some far off place she couldn't get out of. She also explains, "I've gone through bloody hell, I'll have you know. The obstacles I went through-" (208), it's like all this leaving business was not her idea. I'd like to think she was legitimately crazy and just wandered off that night and accidentally got lost in her thoughts or something. But was definitely an intentional journey Sumire endured, I think the documents she wrote were in preparation for it.But I still don't understand where she could have gone, especially since no one could find her...hmmm.

Perhaps it was supernatural? Could that be logical, she went over to the "other side." This theory seems plausible because of Miu's dream about losing her other half. Her experience in the ferris wheel looking in on herself through the windows of her own apartment. This was a very weird, supernatural part of the book and perhaps a hint for Sumire's experience. Maybe Sumire went over to that other world, with the other half of Miu...I don't know I am just making up ideas. Through the mirror. We already know that mirrors are big symbols in the story of identity and reality, so maybe Sumire went through the "mirror", to some other world, like a parallel universe. But, I could be totally off on this one.

No comments: