Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Keep em' Busy

One of Nietzsche's main problems with society is that we don't let ourselves feel pain. We try to numb our senses, to distract ourselves from our feelings through what Nietzsche defines as "mechanical activity" (134). He describes how we fill our minds with this said activity and thus leave no room for consciousness, no room for suffering.

This made me think of death and how people grieve. When you go to a funeral or if someone has died, it's always seen as a good thing if the family stays busy for the next few months. Keeping busy, not thinking about the pain of the recent death. I think it's healthy to grieve for a period, but I also think it's healthy to do something, to get involved to take your mind off it. I guess I agree with Nietzsche to not let the mechanical activity take over and numb everything, overworking is not healthy and puts even more stress on the mind. But a little numbing can help, just to cope until an appropriate time. To which Nietzsche would respond with a lecture on societal pressure and our need to always be polite and appropriate. Oh well, I don't think I can win this one.

No comments: