Sunday, September 30, 2007

Doing Nothing

Today I sat in my room for a good fifteen minutes and essentially "did nothing." I sat on my bed and tried to clear my thinking, I didn't let my eyes focus on anything, I just tried to relax and meditate for a time. Honestly I love the idea of meditation. I do it while I run and sometimes while I paint. I do it in airports waiting for a flight. Just sitting, not really thinking, waiting, doing nothing. This summer I did yoga a lot and after the stretching exercises there was a time for meditation. This time came to be my favorite part of the class and it felt so refreshing after.

Nevertheless, today I was a little out of practice. I found it really difficult to keep my mind clear and to relax. But after about five minutes I was totally emerged. Just sitting and breathing, subconsciously reflecting. When I came out of it, I felt so rested and sort of recharged. It's so relaxing just clearing your mind. I was able to put everything sort of in perspective, focus on the work I had to do tonight and other responsibilities. It's like hypnotizing yourself. I didn't really reflect on anything directly that had to do with the TAO, but it's that sort of yin/yang feeling that I get from meditation. Like everything will work itself out and that everything works in harmony with it's counterpart. Such wonderful, cheap, stress relief.

No comments: