Sunday, September 30, 2007

To Create

Taken from TAO 64,

"Create before it exists
lead before it goes astray"

"...nine story tower, rises from a pile of earth,
a thousand mile journey, begins with a single step."

I love these quotes from TAO, I found them so inspiring and so true. Really another way of expressing the value of "carpe diem," seizing the day, and motivation. Everything starts small as they say, you have to work hard accomplish the big feats. This made me think of the huge billion dollar companies that capitalize society today. They all started small, maybe in a home. Maybe as just one, lowly restaurant. And now, through time and hard work they have succeeded and spread all over the world. My dad owns start up company, and so I have witnessed this theme firsthand. Sometimes the company seems near bankrupt, but then it'll spike and have huge sales and huge profits. The company started with only five employees, and now employs a couple hundred. It's amazing what can happen.

I can't stop thinking about the theme of creating before it exists either. For some reason I just thought of art and how when you go to an art show you see the projects and you wonder how the artist possibly came up with their ideas. Even an abstract painting, it puzzles me how sometimes the piece is so simple, but in reality it's the idea that matters, not the simplicity of the construction. It is then I realize I could have never come up the same, raw, simple idea and so I could have never produced something quite like it. Darwin too, was worried about creating before it already existed. He wanted to make sure his theories were right on, but he ran out of time and someone else was already ready to publish. Darwin wanted to be the first step, the initial creator of his theories, that is why he was more or less forced to publish.

No comments: