Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Why Bother With a Body?

In my last post I touched on the fact that Socrates is such a high-and-mighty philosopher that he has no need of the physical world or life of any sort. He believes that the soul does better without the body, free to explore all aspects of the universe. As he puts it, "The body keeps us busy in a thousand ways because of its need for nurture...they impede our search for the truth" (Phaedo 15).

Well, that can work for Socrates maybe, but I happen to like my body. I am conscious of it for one. If you exist only as a soul, are you aware that you exist? I have no idea because I cannot recall the last time I was "just a soul." I also value the idea of mortality, it gives meaning to my life and forces me to make the most of everyday. If I was on some eternal meandering path to wisdom as a body-less soul, I really don't think I'd have as much fun. Interacting with other humans and the environment is important, even if you do get sick. Eating, Dressing, Exercising and other bodily privileges are important. They remind us that our bodies do, in fact, matter and need to be taken care of...back the mortality point.

This thinking about the separation between body and soul can also be related to the ending of The White Castle. Throughout the whole book the narrator and Hoja are on a constant search for knowledge and wisdom. If only Socrates could have tipped them off that you really have to die and exist as a soul before you can attain this glory. But nonetheless, the characters spend years writing, discussing and researching the ideas behind truth. Then in the end, suddenly the research has stopped and the narrator has a family and a garden. In a sense the narrator became aware of his own mortality and chose to live first and philosophize later. Maybe he has realized the importance of the body and its needs and pleasures associated. How it is a human right to care for our bodies, and thus enjoy them. For we only have so much time until our souls are separated and we will finally be free search for all wisdom. Thanks Socrates for the tip. Now I can really live.

No comments: